Saturday, July 2, 2011

Day 93


I was very productive today. I was up early. I went to a thrift store that was having a 50% off sale this weekend. Is it sad that this got me excited? I actually found a great dresser. It was a tall 5-drawer dresser and it was priced at $42… with 50% OFF!!! I measured it and it was actually going to fit in my car. SHOCKING.

So the gentleman from Salvation Army helped me get it into my car and he was so nice to me. I think it’s because of the BLONDE. I got the thing home and had to get it up the steps to my place. One of my neighbors saw me get this dresser out of my car and ran to my assistance. “Girl, you’re going to hurt yourself.” While I was happy to have the help, I could do without the 1950s misogyny. I’m sure he didn’t mean anything by it, but I kind of wanted to slap him. I have perfectly good muscles and I can get this up those stairs, but I let him do it. The last thing I need is my alcoholic neighbor (he smelled like he took a booze bath this morning) feeling emasculated by me because I didn’t let him move a dresser. I actually was scared that he was going to fall backwards down the stairs and this dresser thing would fall on top of him and he would die. Sometimes I have flashes of terrible things that could happen like I’m living in Final Destination. But he got this hunk of wood up the steps and he didn’t die. Crisis avoided. I quelled my firey feminist inclinations.

I cleaned it inside and out. I found what I think was bird poop on the inside of the dresser, which is curious to say the least. But I got it all cleaned up and I sanded it a little. I sprayed the ugly brass knobs apple/celery green. I put it back together and put it in my bedroom. All in a day’s work…

I’ve been watching Mildred Pierce (finally) and it’s devastating. Kate Winslet is incredible, and I despise Evan Rachel Wood, but I think it’s because she always plays characters who I’m supposed to dislike. I feel their anger and it makes me want to a) hug my own mother and make sure she knows how much I love her, b) make pie and/or eat pie, and c) be Kate Winslet when I grow up.

I actually had a pretty terrible day, aside from the great thrifty find and the nice people who helped me today. I’m having an ugly day. I’m feeling fat and ugly and I hate it when this happens. It started before I watched Kate Winslet for 8 hours, so I can’t blame her. I think I blame my bathroom scale and my bathroom mirror. Those two are in league against me. Bastard inanimate objects conspiring against me!

Today gets 3 Barbie Warhols:

1 comment: