Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 72


Today was a very busy day. I had two commitments to go to and I HAD A BLAST. I think people like me better as a blonde. That is probably just total bullshit and I have just altered my behavior because of the BLONDE. I got a lot of positive feedback about my new look, but mostly people seemed to be taken by my crafting skills (I tend to give people homemade gifts and I lug around my own homemade purse).

You may not know this, but I have an etsy store. I try to keep the merchandise up to date and mostly it’s just nice to have a place to showcase the random stuff I make. I do a lot of sewing because I find it soothing and creative. It’s the kind of high that you really can’t get anywhere else. It’s taking raw materials and turning them into something wonderful. Now, these raw materials can be anything – fabric, pennies, bottle caps, wine corks, beads, paint, wood, t-shirts, rope, cardboard, canvas…. ANYTHING. I’m sure my stuff is an acquired taste for some people, but I tend to LOVE what I make so much that I have trouble parting with it (even for money). Whatever. I like to make things.

A lot of people who know that I’m creative ask my why I’m not in a more creative field. This may be a cop-out, but I think the second you start getting paid to do stuff you enjoy you might not want to do it anymore. I’m not sure if it’s the answering to other people that bothers me, but I like my job and I like my hobbies. My job can be creative insofar as it involved creative problem-solving and contributing to an efficient work-flow (wow, I just made myself sound smart and important).

Today I was asked if I’ve ever considered doing stand-up or acting by two separate people. This would make occasion # 2 & 3 of this suggestion since I’ve become a blonde. So I think I can hypothesize that blondes are funnier than redheads. Someone also said that I looked like Greta Gerwig, who is an actress who was in films like Baghead, Greenberg, No Strings Attached, and Arthur. You know, I’ll take it, despite the fact that I don’t know if this is good or bad. I interpret it as a good thing since I think she’s pretty. I never really know how to take these statements that compare me to other people. I do it to other people, too, but I don’t really know why. When I do it, I usually make sure that I clarify that it is, in fact, a compliment to be compared to Pauly Shore in this particular instance. I hate it when people refer to other people in terms of other people, like calling someone “the next Steven Spielberg,” “the new Zac Efron,” or “the next Tom Cruise.” I don’t really want to measure my life based on someone else, but I know I’m getting way too into a passing comment made to me at a party. I understand that these things are meant to be compliments and I should just say “Thank you” and shut up, but I’m a thinker. And I’m blonde, too. DEAL WITH IT.

Today gets 5 Barbie Warhols for partying like a rockstar:

2 comments: