Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 52

I cleaned my apartment. I sorted through some stuff and discovered some interesting things:

- My itty-bitty rolls of film from film class. I have nothing to play them on and I have them on DVD, but I can’t bring myself to toss them.

- Christmas cards I’ve received for the past 3 years. I saved them with the intention of making sure that I have everyone’s proper addresses and I wanted to use the cards in a Christmas collage. So I never threw them out.

- I found stickers I forgot I had. I’m going to be putting them on every card I send.

- Gotham found the cat toys I had saved for when she lost or destroyed some of the ones she has. Needless to say, I’m a sucker and let her have them now.

I have trouble cleaning stuff out because I’m sentimental and artistic. I save stuff for collages and stuff. I save stuff because I like having reminders of where I’ve been. I used my bottle cap collection to decorate a mirror. I have a wine cork collection that I have yet to decide what to do with them. I don’t want to get rid of the cards people send me because they make me happy. I’m having trouble throwing out my shower curtain because I remember buying it and how it cheered me up that day. I’m kind of sick of it, so I’m going to get a different one, but I’m not about to save a shower curtain. I’m going to throw it out, but it’s weird that that’s hard for me, right?

I think some people in life are too sentimental and hang on to things because they are grasping for the past. Other people aren’t sentimental at all and don’t care about people or memories. I suppose the healthiest place to be is somewhere in the middle. You don’t want to turn into a hoarder, but you don’t want to throw everything away and never remember anything or anyone. And then there’s the stuff you have to save like tax documents and warranties – and that shit is a pain in the ass.

So, I’m going to continue to debate whether I keep the books I read once and may never read again, or do I keep them on the off chance I’ll want to re-read them in a few years? I’m going to debate whether I get rid of some shoes or not. Clothes are hard, too. Not for sentimental reasons necessarily, but because they might be perfect for an outfit you have yet to put together. Or something I wasn’t sure about before might go really well with my BLONDE hair.

Oh the hard decisions…

Today gets 3 Barbie Warhols:

No comments:

Post a Comment