Monday, May 2, 2011

Day 35

I’ve been having trouble sleeping lately. It’s not really all that serious since I’m working freelance, but I kind of feel like I’m a teenager or Marilyn Manson with my strange hours. My mom still teases me by saying, “your heart doesn’t start beating till noon.” She’s probably right, but that makes me sound a bit like a vampire. My natural sleep pattern would be 3AM to 12PM. I also think that there is something about the night that can be magical.

Every kid wanted to stay up past their bedtime – for whatever reason. I used to want to stay up to watch Letterman’s Top Ten list, which I inevitably did not get. I would want to stay up because Santa was on his way. I would want to stay up because my brothers were watching a scary movie. There was always a reason. I think that because staying up late was kind of taboo, I loved it. I still do, forever the rebel.

Night has an energy all its own and I think that I feed off it. I’m more creative at night; I’m more productive at night; I’m happier at night. With everyone else asleep, it’s as if I have the world all to myself. Things can look one-way in the light of day, and completely different under the cover of darkness. It’s quieter. It’s cooler. Night always seems full of possibilities. I’ve heard it said “nothing good happens after 2AM.” This depends on your definition of “good.” I think that night tends to get a bad rep. Not all bad things happen at night. You can get mugged, raped, and killed in broad daylight just as easily as you can at night. Car accidents happen 24/7.

I think that you’re either born a day person or a night person. Day people tend to wake up early, welcome the day with a smile, and are probably descendents of angels or something. Night people would sleep all day if permitted, survive the daylight on a steady intake of caffeine, and are probably vampires. I can sometimes trick myself into acting like a day person, but I always end up reverting back to the darkness.

This is not to say that I’m some sort of night-owl-party-animal. I’m usually quite the opposite. I like to be productive at night, which usually means I’m working solo. It’s hard for me to enjoy going out to a bar at night because that’s when inspiration strikes. If someone invited me out to a bar at 4PM, I would probably be more likely to have fun. I’m weird.

These sleep patterns have gotten worse since I’ve been blonde, but I can’t really find a correlation between the two. Perhaps the bleach soaked into my brain and fried some neurons or receptors or something. Or I’m happier and therefore having more free thoughts and putting those thoughts into actions with hobbies and whatnot. I can’t really be sure without hooking my brain up to some computer and I don’t have those kinds of resources (yet). I’ll keep you posted.

Today gets 2 Barbie Warhols:

2 comments:

  1. I'm the best kind of day person, I'm a morning person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soo not a morning person. It takes me 3 cups of coffee just to put on pants.

    ReplyDelete