Friday, May 20, 2011

Day 53

It’s apparently my last day on earth and I went shopping at Target. I was not alone. Target was busy today. I spent too much money there, as always, but I didn’t break $100, which is always a good sign. I was waiting in line and I was about the 4th person back when one of the cashiers opened the line right next to me and offered to ring me up (that sounds dirty). Was it because I’m BLONDE? It could be.

I’ve been obsessed with making tacos lately, and by “obsessed” I mean I made them once and have wanted to make them again ever since. I bought the ingredients and hopefully will make them soon.

I start a new gig on Monday and I have the jitters, as usual. I love working freelance, but walking into an unknown situation is very disconcerting. I actually thrive on it is a weird masochistic way, but that doesn’t mean I don’t still get nervous. I also wonder if people will take me less seriously as a blonde in a work environment. I don’t think it was a problem at my last job because being blonde worked to my advantage. I was a spritely little blonde girl who was on top of her shit. I guess the same could go for this job, but we’ll see.

I think that blondes definitely have something to prove when it comes to brains and ability. I guess it’s a worlds worth of dumb blonde jokes and misogynistic oppression. When I started this blog I never thought that I would have so much to say about feminism and sexuality, but I think that blondes tend to deal with a lot of that crap, albeit probably subconsciously. I’m sure that hair color is trivial to some people, but I think that it definitely influences how we see people – just like all the other subconscious choices we make everyday. This blog could have easily been called “My Ain’t Year” where I use all sorts of grammatically incorrect words in everyday conversation to see how people’s opinion of me changes. Already I think I’ve discovered that blondes may have more fun, but perhaps it’s because of how they are perceived as well as how they act. However, you really can’t make blanket statements like that without making huge assumptions about an entire portion of the population. Which probably isn’t fair, but whatevs. It’s all in good fun, right?

Today gets 3 Barbie Warhols:

No comments:

Post a Comment