Saturday, April 30, 2011

Day 33

(I think I want this book, but that's not the point of this post...)

“Thirty days has September, April, June, and November…”

It kind of weirds me out that some months are shorter than others. Who decided this stuff? Benjamin Franklin? The Greeks? Romans? Mayans? I’m sure a simple Google search could quell my thoughts, but that’s too easy and probably wouldn’t help me come to terms with the fact that some months are longer than others (or I’m just lazy). It’s not because of its origin that I’m weirded out by it, it’s that they aren’t equal. Why is February, my birth month (and therefore my favorite), so short? Like, the absolute shortest month? My OCD tendencies want all the months to be equal. It’s a weird thing to have bother you, but I’m a weird person, so who cares?

I find that I have very strange tendencies that have developed since I’ve become a blonde. I have to wear lipstick. I have about 20 different shades of lip stain, tinted lip balm, color-stay stuff, moisturizing tint, regular smudgy lipstick, and lip-gloss. I’m not really satisfied with a single one. I’ll like it immensely for a day or two, maybe a week, and then I will get so bored or decide it’s the wrong shade. You may not realize this, but lip color can change your face. Some people say this about eyebrows, and that’s true, but I think that lipstick can change your whole look. My mom used to always say she “looked dead” without lipstick (I’m sure she still says this, but I don’t remember the last time she said it). Lipstick can make your complexion look healthier, your teeth look whiter, and your smile seem brighter. So, I’ve been obsessed with lip color.

I have been obsessed with nail polish for a while – even before I became blonde. However, it’s somehow gotten worse lately. I really LOVE nail polish. Sometimes it’s nice to have bare nails for a day or two, but I like to have nail polish on. I think that it is just another form of expression. I also really like the names. OPI and Essie are my favorites, but they are kind of expensive ($8 a pop). I hate it when I have chipped nail polish, which is one of my crazy tendencies, so I end up fixing my nails a lot. Sometimes it seems like it’s more trouble than it’s worth, but I’ve learned to find nail polish application therapeutic. It’s like a calm ritual. And it’s taking the time to invest in your self-worth (that’s total bullshit, but it sounds good, right?). Sometimes, having perfect nail polish makes me feel better about myself. It’s so fucking superficial, but I don’t care. We’re a superficial culture. Deal with it.

I still wish all the months were the same length.

Today gets 3 Barbie Warhols:

2 comments:

  1. I can't remember the last time my nails weren't painted! They are only bare when I am removing to apply new polish!

    I love China Glaze, same shades/funky cool names as OPI, but a LOT cheaper :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried it, but I'm usually unimpressed with their shades, or at least the shade names (and therefore I subconsciously dislike the shade).

    ReplyDelete