Monday, April 11, 2011

Day 14


Today was an ordinary day. Nothing unusual happened. I went about my business and no one said a word. Which leads me to my next thought. Can just blonde hair have an effect, or do you have to do something else, too?

The first time I heard the term “peacocking” I was watching the movie 17 Again. That was… a couple years ago? I just re-watched it and sure, it’s a basic transformation story, and I really don’t understand how Zac Efron grows up to be Matthew Perry, but it’s definitely entertaining. Zac Efron’s best friend Ned employs the art of “peacocking” to get the attention of the school principal. “Peacocking” is when you dress in a flamboyant fashion to get the attention of the opposite sex. It’s just like how a peacock uses its feathers to attract a mate. Upon google-ing this term, it apparently also has some disgusting sexual connotations, but I’m not about to get into that.

We all peacock a little on a regular basis. Whether it’s putting on lipstick or picking out what shoes to wear. On Saturday, I hypothesize that I got the attention from the opposite sex because I was blonde and wearing a hat. The hat was an attention-getter (as well as the red lipstick and fake eyelashes. Holla!). I also was wearing a tight red skirt that I’m sure helped ruffle some tail feathers. I was peacocking without even thinking about it. I’m sure that the slang term “peacocking” is meant for more extreme cases, but I think that we can apply it in a broader, more general sense. Now, there are the slutty peacocks, who go out in the skin-tight dresses with their vaginas hanging out, and in my opinion, that’s peacocking of the worse sort. The same with dudes who wear clothes that are too tight. Or made of mesh. It’s just kind of wrong and attracts the wrong sort of attention.

For example, most female birds are not as brightly colored as the male bird of the same species – for protection. Women’s lib has yet to hit nature, so the female birds still stay at home with the babies. They are camouflaged for their projection from predators. Male birds are brightly colored to attract a mate. This seems kind of out of wack. So the male bird is out “hunting” with his bright colors attracting females, while his mate is stuck back at the nest protecting their young? It’s kind of bullshit. I think we should all get to be brightly colored and attract mates. Thus, the peacocking and whatnot.

I’m not sure that any of this is making sense, but I think that it’s important to put effort into your appearance, but you also shouldn’t be vain. I think that the amount of effort and the amount of confidence you display is conversely related to how attractive you will be perceived in that instance. I could leave the house without a lick of makeup, but if I see myself as the Queen of Sheba, so will most of the world (there will always be critics and naysayers). If I put a shit ton of effort into my appearance and have no confidence, I’m pretty sure I’ll only be seen as moderately attractive. It’s funny how that happens. A little bit of confidence is worth quadruple its weight in MAC cosmetics. I’m sure we’ve all been told this a gajillion times and it never seems to sink in, but I can attest to this being true. Pimple, no pimple; Mascara or not; you’re you and you’re the best that you’ve got. That was me pretending to be Dr. Seuss. I’m not sure it’s the perfect definition of what I’m going for, but you know what I’m saying. Please peacock carefully.

Today is only 2 Barbie Warhols:

No comments:

Post a Comment