Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 32


I’ve been watching a lot of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” on Netflix streaming. I will admit that I was one of the few people who liked the Kristy Swanson-Luke Perry movie better than the Sarah Michelle Gellar-David Boreanaz TV show. However, the TV show is growing on me. It’s very much a creature-of-the-week-type show, but I have always loved the Buffy sarcasm and irony of a popular blonde cheerleader-type fighting vampires. It’s just a really awesome concept and there is a reason that Joss Whedon is still working (he’s awesome and has a fierce cult following).

However, I think that the real reason that I have always like the movie more than the TV show is because Kristy Swanson is blonder than Sarah Michelle Gellar. This was a subconscious judgment, but now I know that it is true. Watching the 1st season of “Buffy” made me realize that Buffy’s not as blonde as I thought and Willow isn’t as red as I remember. It could be the digital transfer or the lighting, but that doesn’t make it more or less true.

I think that it should also be noted that I had a MAJOR crush on Luke Perry in the early 90s. I was a hardcore “90210” fan and I had the Brenda and Dylan dolls. My sister and I collected the 90210 trading cards (yes, they existed) and kept them in a 90210 binder in the archive-quality baseball card sleeves. I made my mom “sign” the cast names in cursive on my 90210 folder so it looked like I got it autographed by the cast. I had 90210 t-shirts and a giant 90210 puzzle depicting Jason Priestly and Luke Perry only. Needless to say, I love my mom for allowing me to watch such a soapy teen show at such a young, impressionable (and material consumerist) age.

Obviously, my Perry-ist leanings had a major influence on my Buffy preferences. It’s not as if they were around at the same time. Buffy the Vampire Slayer was 1992 and “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” was 1997. That’s five years to grow up and move on, but also to develop an overwhelming sense of nostalgia. I suffer from a chronic case of premature nostalgia. I think that our entire generation has ADD and in the digital age, we can get nostalgic for how we looked five minutes ago. Instant nostalgia is dangerous because it makes you be more precious about things than you should be. As a 12-year-old girl, I was pretty nostalgic for stuff. I was nostalgic to for a time that I didn’t even personally experience (star wars mania) and longed for fashion I didn’t even have the boobs for (60’s mod). Anyway, it came as a great surprise that I didn’t take to “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” immediately due to the nostalgia for Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I can only conclude that the TV show was not nearly blonde enough for me.

Today gets 3 Barbie Warhols:


No comments:

Post a Comment