Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day 30


It’s been 30 days. This is kind of exciting. I took an IQ test and only scored 140. I had scored 147 has a redhead, so I guess I did lose some IQ points by becoming blonde. But internet IQ test are probably bogus, so who can be sure?

I have the sudden urge to go camping. It could have been because I watched five minutes of Dead Poet’s Society today and realized that I do want “to go into the woods to live deliberately.” I haven’t been camping since... I was maybe 12. I am a bit apprehensive because if you’ve watched as many movies as I have, camping never goes well for blondes; they usually die. Whether It’s at Camp Crystal Lake (Friday the 13th), Camp Arawak (Sleepaway Camp), or the Tennessee woods (Evil Dead), you’re pretty much doomed. I can’t help but associate camping with horror movies. I suppose there are some great camping movies that aren’t full of gore, but I’m going to make a list. It’s like a challenge (I don’t think I’m going for comprehensive, I’m going for solid movies with the majority of the film involving camping in the woods – I think I’m eliminating desert island scenarios). I like lists and everyone knows I love a good theme! So, here’s a possible syllabus if Professor Blonde was going to teach you about camping via the movies:

Camping Cinema 101:

Friday the 13th

The Great Outdoors

Evil Dead


Camping: Childhood Fun 210:

Stand by Me (I love this movie, and I think it can count)

Camp Nowhere

Troop Beverly Hills

Meatballs


Camping: Male Bonding 313:

Deliverance

Brokeback Mountain

Without a Paddle


Camping: You Won’t Get Out Alive 425:

Grizzly

Sleepaway Camp

Cabin Fever

Don’t Go Into the Woods


Extra Credit:

The Cabin in the Woods (supposedly coming in 2011)

Swiss Family Robinson (desert island, but they have a badass tree house)

The Sandlot (instructional s’mores scene)

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (opening campfire singing scene)

House of Wax (2005) (camping while on the road… barely counts)

Friday the 13th Part INFINITY (the original is the best, but the sequels can provide enrichment)

Friday the 13th (2009) (it’s not that great, but it’s an okay twist on the original)


Today gets 4 Barbie Warhols:

3 comments:

  1. Parent trap! I used to watch it every summer before I started woodcraft camp...NERD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, you're so right. I forgot! I haven't seen that movie is forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot Wet Hot American Summer, too!

    ReplyDelete