Saturday, April 16, 2011

Day 19


It is a sad day in America. I headed to Borders today and the parking lot was super full. Then I remembered that this Borders is closing - the Borders on Sunset and Vine. Granted, Borders and Barnes and Noble took the small book store/local coffee house and combined them into a large empire. I can only imagine how pissed off they are now that people have become illiterate. Or have Kindles. It just makes me sad; I love bookstores – all bookstores. That’s where I plan on meeting my future husband (if this were really true, I’d probably spend everyday in a bookstore, right?)

Today was also Record Store Day. I drove by Amoeba and the line was insane. I would have thought about going, but I have a feeling that all the hipsters not attending Coachella probably attended Record Store Day. I love Amoeba. This is probably another place I could meet my future husband.

I stopped by Target and picked up what I now deem a very necessary purchase: hot pink lipstick and hot pink nail polish. I want to be just like Barbie. Well, I can’t be just like Barbie without defying the laws of physics and spending a fortune on plastic surgery. Just check this out: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/galia-slayen/the-scary-reality-of-a-re_b_845239.html

I’m actually kind of happy with who I am and how I look. A guy at Target let me go in front of him at the check out, even though I had quite a few items (those Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs are a must-have, as well as those Swiffer duster refills). I’m not sure if he was 1) being nice, 2) using this as a ploy to check out my ass, or 3) both. I think I’m going to go with both. I also got a really big smile and “How are you?” from the heavily pierced cashier. I think this is because blondes are seen as less threatening. And I was smiling.

This blonde experiment that I am conducting is not just about male attention (if it was I probably wouldn’t be staying in on a Saturday night), but it’s about using this somewhat trivial physical alteration as the impetus to reinvent how I think and how I feel about myself (are blondes allowed to use words like “impetus”? I hope the blonde police doesn’t arrest me). I know that this is getting a little deep and somewhat – dare I say – scholarly for a blog about being blonde, but I think that these thoughts and explorations are probably important – to me and maybe other people, too.

Today gets 3 Barbie Warhols:

No comments:

Post a Comment